We offer free confidential consultations including:
- Providing immediate first aid and assessment of illness at school.
- Free Nurse, Doctor and Physiotherapist consultations for students who present with a health concern.
- Support/assessment/education/treatment/referral may be given on a wide range of health concerns.
- An ACC form can be completed by the nurse for any significant injury requiring referral for x-ray. This is usually to Orthopaedic outpatients at ChCh hospital. After 6pm we have a $30 deal for x-ray and Doctor check-up for sporting related injuries with the 24hr surgery Bealey Ave. Free wound care is available at Moorhouse Medical. Tell them you are a CHS student.
- Smoking cessation and nicotine replacement therapy(patches/gum) is offered through the clinic ( parents /caregivers are also welcome )or call Quit line 0800 778 778 or visit http://www.quit.org.nz .
- Contraception/sexual health consultation is provided on request including emergency contraception.
- Wart treatment is offered at Dr clinics on request.
- Monitoring of students with medical/long term conditions is done in partnership with parents/caregivers and teachers.
- Medications at school (safe administration/safe carrying of medications)
- Over the counter medication like paracetamol and ibuprofen are available at the clinic. Parents will sign a consent for this Y/N on the enrolment form. This may be given by the nurse or first aider after assessment questions are asked.
- All controlled or prescription medication i.e., ritalin, codeine must be securely stored at the nurses clinic for students requiring these medications - see our nurses on request.
- It is reasonable for responsible students to carry emergency medication i.e., period pain, allergies, anaphylaxis, diabetes (enough for the day only and securely stored). We encourage students to see the Nurse for pain relief as a safer option.
- Students are referred as necessary to the school counsellor for support.
- St John's Ambulance will be called if necessary to transport a student to hospital. Accidents are covered by ACC, a medical issue may incur a charge from St Johns.
- There are three AED defibrillators, located in the reception, gym foyer and the performing arts centre.
We aim to assist students to take responsibility for their health and actively promote healthy lifestyle choices. By students keeping healthy we hope to maximize their opportunities for learning at Cashmere High school. If a student is unwell or injured or there is a safety concern for the student at school you may be contacted to pick them up. If the student can be temporarily managed at school and return to class you may not be contacted unless there is follow-up care required for example head injuries.
Parents/ Caregivers feel free to contact the health clinic at any time. Further information on privacy, confidentiality, storage of medical information etc is available on request from the clinic. We encourage you to keep emergency contact details and health conditions updated by notifying the administration office of any changes.
We also encourage registration with the Dentist for free dental care up to the age of 18, and appropriate immunizations provided by the GP for example Tetanus and the Cervical cancer vaccine.
All the best for a happy and healthy year.
Phone: +64 3 337 4728