Gateway is an exciting programme offering students in Years 11-13 an opportunity to experience workplaces first hand while engaging in structured workplace learning. Gateway aims to make learning relevant to the needs of the student, and to ensure a smooth transition from school to employment or further training. Generally any Gateway training will feed into higher-level qualifications like apprenticeships or diplomas, within the industry. While on Gateway a student will spend a day a week on a work placement as well as be working towards unit standards from the National Qualification Framework (NZQA).
- Learn practical industry skills and gain industry knowledge
- Gain credits that contribute to NCEA
- Have industry Unit Standards added to their record of learning
- Gain Unit Standards that can go towards a range of national qualifications
- Learn about the range of jobs available
- Develop first hand knowledge of what it is really like to work in the industry
- Gain useful experience in the workplace which will help them to find a job
- Become confident about entering the workforce through better knowledge of the requirements an expectations of workplaces
- Be able to make a more informed choice about tertiary study.
Gateway is more than a work experience programme, and is aimed at students who are motivated to achieve. In order to be successful they need to be work ready and are able to undertake individual assessment for NQF in the workplace.
Gate way students have been placed in a wide variety of industries including hospitality, automotive, farming, tourism, engineering, childcare, hairdressing and building.
Cashmere High School has 25 Gateway placements this year.
- Gateway provides long-term structured workplace learning for Year 12-13 students.
- In consultation with the employer, a learning plan is specifically developed for each student including industry-based Unit Standards that contribute towards NCEA.
- School attendance continues as usual, with students attending Gateway Placement one day per week for a period of time to be arranged.
- Students gain valuable experience and learning in a career of their choice, building confidence for a smooth transition to the workplace.
Please contact Mandy Yogi for further information if your son/daughter is interested in participating in Gateway.